Dermaplaning or Epidermal Leveling is a recent innovation in safe and effective exfoliation, suitable for men and women of all skin tones. This technique utilizes a specially designed surgical instrument to carefully remove the topmost layers of skin, resulting in a beautiful refinished look. Dermaplaning gives the skin a smoother appearance by removing dead skin cells in addition to the fine vellous facial hair ("peach fuzz") that can trap excess dirt and oil and leave the complexion looking dull. It also stimulates and rejuvenates skin tissue, making it an effective way to reduce acne scarring, uneven pigmentation, and fine line wrinkles. Most people notice marked improvements in the texture and appearance of their skin immediately after their first treatment, which is why this procedure is excellent to have prior to a special event. Dermaplaning can be used alone or in conjunction with other procedures such as chemical peels and laser rejuvenation treatments. It is non-invasive and does not require the use of any chemicals and is thus suitable even for our pregnant and nursing clients. This treatment may be performed every 4 to 6 weeks.
In short, here is why Dermaplaning may be right for you:
- It improves the texture of rough photo damaged skin, superficial hyperpigmentation, hyper-keratinization, acne, mild acne scarring, and fine lines and wrinkles.
- It is ideal for patients who are pregnant or nursing that want a deep exfoliation, but are not allowed to use chemicals and peeling agents on their skin.
- It is a first choice for patients who have excess vellus hair on the skin, which causes a buildup of dirt and oils in the follicles and results in clogged pores and breakouts. (Although merely an old wives’ tale, many patients are often concerned that their facial hair will grow back heavier and darker after dermaplaning. This is not the case. As long as the hair is superficial vellus hair, it will grow back at the same rate and texture as before the treatment.)
- It helps to prevent ingrown hairs and shaving rash in men.
- It enhances the penetration of active products (such as retinols or vitamin-C) into the deeper layers of the dermis.
- It is an ideal way to prepare the skin for procedures such as laser treatments, chemical peels and deep cleansing facials.